Empathy in Action: Caring for Others

 Originally published for Live Today Well Collective on Oct. 22, 2020


I saw a sticker recently on a post at the cart return after grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s. It simply said, “Empathy.”  I was happy to see it. It may seem silly or trite, but the act of merely returning a shopping cart to its proper place, is an act of empathy. This sticker was a needed reminder to practice empathy in all aspects of our lives, no matter how mundane. Empathy is putting ourselves in a position to feel or understand another person’s emotions, something so needed in this day and age.  

In 2020, we find ourselves having to apply empathy in so many different forms: from wearing masks to protect those around us, putting ourselves in the shoes of working parents or essential workers, to listening to the voices of those marching in the streets protesting racial injustice. As a Catholic, I gather my understanding of empathy from the Scriptures and the tenets of Catholic Social Teaching. Based on these sources, empathy falls in line with the Catholic Social Teaching of Solidarity proclaimed thusly by the USCCB, “We are one human family whatever our national, racial, ethnic, economic, and ideological differences.” We may despairingly believe that our differences are too glaring, too painful, too many, to ever be united as one.  Even with all that 2020 has brought for us this year, empathy is the key to unlocking a sense of peace and community in these trying times.

I’m a cradle Catholic, and I’m also a second and third generation American. My grandparents on my mother’s side emigrated from Poland after World War II and my paternal great-grandparents also came to America from Eastern Europe. I learned a lot about empathy by observing my relatives’ hard work to establish themselves in a new country. Hearing their stories about hardship and poverty taught me that not everyone’s lives and stories are easy or simple. Because my parents and grandparents had to work hard for everything they achieved in America, they are in turn generous with everything they have. Instead of holding on to what is theirs, they give freely to others, no matter the race, nationality, or creed. This giving freely to those who are struggling is truly empathy in action.

I find this same generous mindset emulated throughout many different immigrant communities. These families all know the struggle of starting from scratch in a new home, and willingly pass on wisdom and service to their neighbors in need. This active empathy reminds me of the verse from the Gospel of Matthew: 

Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you? And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’” (Matthew 25: 37-40) 

How beautifully this teaching is lived out in these communities. Though I personally did not leave my homeland for another country, when I see and hear the stories of immigrants, I recall my own relatives and their stories. I’ve seen this sense of community and active empathy not only in my own family, but also in the places that I have been privileged to visit through international travel. This application of taking what I have witnessed and observed from others is one small way that I try to practice empathy.

As a teacher, I bring these values of understanding and generosity with me into my Catholic classroom. I strive to honor the lessons passed on to me by my immigrant ancestors by teaching my students empathy through storytelling. No culture is perfect nor is its history, but I strongly believe that we can learn from those who came before us and their mistakes. I try to teach my students empathy by sharing the stories of our nation’s past- the good and the bad. I facilitate discussions with them and brainstorm ways to actively empathize with those who are suffering. 

I think storytelling is one of the strongest ways for us to teach empathy, and my model for this is Christ. The story of the Good Samaritan in Luke’s Gospel is a perfect example. In this parable, a Samaritan, considered less-than-human by most Jews, helps an injured Jewish man and provides him with all his basic needs, and then some. The Samaritan in this story goes beyond their vast cultural differences and gives freely. This story teaches us so much about caring for someone, especially someone who is “other.” Just as my parents and grandparents told me the stories of their journeys, I try to share the stories of others with my students, particularly of those people who are different from them culturally and socio-economically. The sharing of stories reinforces the humanity of others and encourages us to actively empathize with their struggles.

In this day and age, our world seems more divided than ever.  Our community is in upheaval due not only to a worldwide pandemic, but also a summer of protests against systemic racism. When everything seems to be crumbling around us, we must look to our similarities, rather than differences, and listen carefully to the stories of others. That sticker I saw at Trader Joe’s is a great reminder for us all to take the time to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes for a change, even if it just means taking a few extra steps to return a shopping cart to its proper spot. Together, let’s begin this new season by honoring the stories told by our neighbors and considering how we can best serve our community with our wisdom and generosity. 

“If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it.” 1 Corinthians 12:26

Comments

Popular Posts